About Hosted Debates

Page 1 of 1
3 posts
About Hosted Debates
JohnLombard
Site Admin
Wrest In Peace debates are probably different from what you're used to. For any given topic, we will invite a small group of 2-6 people, each representing a different viewpoint, belief, or perspective, to participate in the debate. Only those people will be able to make posts, for everyone else, you can just watch and read what they say (but you can go to the 'Discussion of Debates' section to add your own ideas and comments). The main reason for this is to allow the participants to debate directly with each other, without having it disrupted by other comments.

All debates are subject to the same strict standards as everywhere else in this forum -- no personal attacks, no insults, no profanity, no threats, etc. Each participant should focus instead on presenting their own arguments as clearly as possible, and on disproving claims made by others.

Debates will not be held in real time, so participants can have the opportunity to actually research their own claims, and claims made by others. Again, this is done so that every participant can have the best opportunity to not only present their own arguments, but to respond knowledgeably to arguments made by others.

It is not the purpose of these debates to choose a final 'winner', and no winners will be declared. Rather, the purpose is for those who read these debates, and there are three main goals in this regard:

1) To help you better understand not only what other people believe, but the reasons why they believe it, and the evidence for and against their claims

2) To challenge some of your own beliefs and conclusions, by presenting evidence that may indicate other claims may be superior

3) To equip you to better defend your own position, by learning more of the evidence and arguments against various claims

Ultimately, the purpose is to make you think. In some cases, what you learn from these debates may strengthen your own beliefs; in others, it may reveal new knowledge that will cause fundamental changes in what you believe. But either way, it is a 'win'.
Re: About Hosted Debates
MattusMaximus
Sounds cool - when do we start? ;)
Check out my blog: The Skeptical Teacher
Re: About Hosted Debates
JohnLombard
Site Admin
I'm still having a little work done to get the forums ready. This includes:

* getting the forums integrated with the WordPress site, so that one registration covers both, and so that posts are shared between both areas

* setting up a WYSIWYG text editor (I hate the default version that uses tags)

* embedding the forums in the WordPress blog, which will make everything more interactive (for example, the chat feature will then work in the forums, so people can chat with each other while viewing the forums or making posts)

* I also want to test out the site a little more, make sure that everything's working well, before I start getting larger numbers of people in here

Once all of that is ready to go, I hope to get the debates started.

In the meantime, perhaps you could go to the Debate Suggestions section of the forums, and give some ideas for possible debate topics, and people who could be invited for the debate.
Page 1 of 1