Introducing Myself

Page 1 of 1
3 posts
Introducing Myself

JRCowles
I'm a new WIP member. I was a Christian of one flavor of another for over 50 of my 66-and-counting years. About 30+ years ago, my wife Diane and I felt "called" -- we thought in those terms then -- to a ministry of teaching and writing. So I went to school, starting at Tufts, transferring to Harvard, finishing the "diss" at Exeter College Oxford. We moved from Boston to Seattle because Boston was so monolithic & cold -- cold in all senses. I was working for Boeing-Seattle as a web developer while we waited for the writing / teaching to gel. I then felt "called" -- GAWD how I hate that word now! -- to teach what I will generically call "Catholic stuff" -- Diane and I were practicing Catholics in Boston & Seattle -- at Catholic parishes. So to get credentialed, I took a leave of absence from Boeing, enrolled at Seattle Univ (Jesuit school), and got an MDiv. As part of the MDiv, I taught as an intern at a big Catholic parish St. Louise. That was great fun. People flocked to my classes on theology, the Creed, Church history. But when the MDiv was finished, the Diocese took a lurch to the hard right and teaching was henceforth reserved to the ordained, preferably priests. Diane and I paused, caught our breath, and asked ourselves "WTF". We went through a couple-year-long period of reevaluation. Either there was no God. Or there was a God Who got off on playing mind-games with people and screwing with their minds, like the God-character in the Mark Twain short story "The Mysterious Stranger". In either case, we decided that, for reasons of mental hygiene if no other, we could not afford to play the God-Jesus-Christianity game any more. In the process of coming to this realization, we discovered the writings of the "new atheists":  Dennett, Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, Ehrman, et al. So now we are committed atheists and humanists, but we are atheists / humanists who have lived on "both sides of the tracks" theologically. 
Re: Introducing Myself
JohnLombard
Site Admin
Great to have you join us here, JR!
Re: Introducing Myself

leinad4mind
Welcome!
Page 1 of 1